Monday, August 18, 2014

Day 64...ALS Ice Bucket Challenge

So, I'm sitting here with a concussion from the ice bucket challenge (JK). My husband got a little over zealous with the amount of ice needed, I think. No joke, my head does hurt though. We decided that it should be called the Ice Storage Bucket Challenge, since Brian didn't just use a bucket, he used a tub.

Today was about grocery shopping, clean, cutting, chopping and organizing. You know the drill. Not a whole lot of excitement! I like to buy the following veggies to chop up and have on hand at all times:

Chives, cilantro, red onions, sweet onions, red/orange/yellow bell peppers, mushrooms & cucumber (chopped and sliced). These veggies seem to go in so many recipes that it makes it so easy to throw a dinner together when they are all set up and ready to go.

Some coffee and a smoothie were my breakfast today. Seems to be a normal weekday breakfast for me now. Since Mikey hasn't been drinking his smoothie, I am going to start making it per my specifications. Long live lots of chia seeds.

When I was at the grocery store, I grab some snack items that were gluten free. Not always the best choices, but I guess I was hungry. While I was unloading the groceries, I was snacking on Fritos corn chips. They were good, but oh so bad for me. That is what I had for lunch.

Once I got Mikey home from school, I pan fried him up some tilapia and then started chopping all of my many veggies.

For dinner, I didn't really know what to make. I didn't create a menu this week before the grocery store, so I was playing it by ear. I grabbed some italian sausage and started sautéing up some olive oil, onions, mushroom and crushed garlic along with the sausage that I cut into little chunks with my scissors.  Once that was almost cooked, I added chopped eggplant from 3 eggplants. Salt, pepper and more olive oil. Once that was cooked down, I added italian dressing seasoning and mozzarella cheese slices to the top.  I figured it was too rich to serve alone, so I also made some gluten free pasta and mixed that in.

Italian sausage, onions, mushrooms, eggplant and mozzerella


I have to say that it wasn't my best dinner. I'm not too excited about it. It had a bit of a funky taste to, so I'm not happy. Brian said it was a little too rich for him. Not his type of fare. Whatever!  I only get to criticize my meals and I have to agree. Not leftover worthy.

After dinner was done and Brian got home, we had to get ready for my ALS ice bucket challenge. I was nominated by my friend, Lynn to do the #icebucketchallenge on behalf of Carousel Ranch (www.carouselranch.org). I did this challenge for both Carousel Ranch and ALS. Donations have been made to both organizations. As for the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge, I nominated my friends Lisa Vergara, Chris Vasquez and my cousin, Christopher Melito. They have 24 hours to accept. As of right now, all have accepted and Chris Vasquez has done the challenge. 


I love that there is so much recognition being made to such a difficult disease. I hope these donations are able to help find a cure for patients with ALS. 

Until tomorrow,
Angela


No comments:

Post a Comment