Monday, October 20, 2014

October 20th...Low Carbing It

I've decided that I have been eating my fair share of carbs lately. Even though it is GF, it is still carbs. I am in no way giving up vegetables or even fruits (but I am being selective with my fruits and trying to eat more that are lower GI), but I am reducing my rice, bread, potatoes, you get the idea.

Today was my first day with this way of eating. I have done it before, with Lindora, but this is the first time doing it while blogging. I went on a hunt for recipes that are low carb and somewhat clean. Pinterest was my site of choice today and I found many recipes. I figured that all out after the kids were off to school.

Backtracking, I woke up this morning and was not as tired as I normally am in the morning, especially on a Monday morning. I was thankful.  Breakfast was made and lunch was thrown together for the girl, after I had to clean out her lunch box that had been sitting with orange juice spilled on the bottom of it all weekend. Yummy! Nothing is better than the smell of aging orange juice. NOT!

Once the kids were off, I sat and had some coffee while I compiled my menu for the week.  I decided that this week I will focus on a protein and a veggie, no starch. It seems odd to cook like that, but it will be good for me. I need to drop some poundage and NOW!

I had some boneless/skinless chicken thighs in the fridge that needed to be cooked, so I threw them in the crockpot with some tomato sauce, diced tomatoes and mozzarella cheese. Cooked on low and that was what I was going to offer my family tonight while I was away at my first night of my externship with ABC.

After I picked Mikey up, he was starving, as usual. He wanted to go to In&Out or Jimmy Dean's but I was not for those temptations, so I offered Chipotle. He got a steak quesadilla and chips with guacamole and I ordered a steak salad with guacamole. It was so good. It really hit the spot since I didn't eat anything until that point and it was 3:30pm. :(Today was grocery shopping day so I wasn't able to eat or sit down to eat during the day, so 3:30pm was my first attempt at eating.

Yummy Chipotle Salad!
I got home with Mikey and scarfed down my yummy salad. After I was done, I had to get myself ready for my first night for my externship with Animal Behavior College. I have to observe 6 dog classes in the first part of the externship. Tonight, I completed 2 classes. I really like the way my Mentor Trainer, Beth Harrison, runs her classes. It is in a very large room and the dogs are trained while off leash. They get lots of play time before, in between and after training. It is great socialization as well as training. It is also a rotating class, so it is 6 classes that start again as soon as it is done. Dogs can come anytime and are trained where they are with their skills. Love it!

When I got home at 8:45pm, I ate a bowl of my crockpot chicken thighs with a large scoop of cottage cheese. It was very good and filling. I have to say that I really like the thighs in the crockpot better than breasts. They don't dry as easily. 

Looks like it has a cherry on top!

Once I got home and was opening up the mail, I found a letter from the University of Oregon congratulating Mackenzie on being awarded the Apex Scholarship. This means that they are going to give her $4000 a year for 4 years. This is awesome! Any money is very helpful, of course. It is nice to see that she qualified for a merit scholarship. She has worked so hard.

That's all for today! I hope you all had a great weekend and were able to spend some quality time with your families. I was thankful to be able to spend some time with my mother-in-law and then go to visit my father-in-law's memorial site. I sure do miss him. He was a very special man to me!

Until tomorrow,
Angela


No comments:

Post a Comment